Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Oh My, Oktoberfest...

Tonight Adele gets the super friend award for accompanying me to Oktoberfest. I am on the International Friendship Committee for Junior League so I had to attend. Slade had to "babysit" so he couldn't go...I'm sure it had nothing to do with all the college games on. Adele. however, was very excited to go and after I made her change out of her lederhausen we were off! Mary Alice and Steven met us there, so we probably looked like a family of polygamist but oh well...

 We had a bit of a rocky start. I did not receive the postcard that told me I needed to make a reservation to get tickets. So at the door I got the pleasure of encountering a German woman who basically made me feel like less than pond scum for the outrageous crime of not receiving the mail she sent me. Seriously, if you haven't been talked bad to by a German, you should totally try it....super fun. She reluctantly agreed to let us in but only to eat..absolutely no drink tickets and certainly not one of the GIANT mugs that most people had to fill with Beer. Whatever, lady.

There were people in full costume, lots of people speaking German, a random convertible inside with two men sitting in it, a slide show that contained boobies and pictures of girls in what looked like scandalous Halloween costumes, lots of beer and at one point we decided that it was a lot like being in a really weird dream. There was also a lovely lady that had on a hot yellow tutu that might have fit a 4yr old. Hey, I am not knocking it...great for WF to support all the different nationalities that we host at the base..so let's just call it a bit of culture shock.

Finally after discovering that the feast was sausage, sauerkraut and all that, Adele and I decided it was going to be an early evening for us. I am pulling out of the parking lot when I notice this man waving franticly at my car. I tell Adele, "look at that guy, there's no way I would stop in a parking lot for a random man...he might steal of kill us!" (seen a lot of Dateline or 20/20) Adele says, "maybe he just thinks we are hot and was trying to flag us down." So I pull out of the parking lot and have driven about 100 yards when I see red and blue lights behind me....oh great.

I pull over and for the life of me have no earthly idea what I could have done. The officer who looks about 12 comes up to the window and informs me that I do not have my headlights on. Awesome. I just got my car back from Sewell so I guess they turned the auto lights off and the parking lot was so well lit I didn't notice. He asks my for my license and I give it to him forgetting that it's my old one. He asks if I still live in Dallas and I tell him that no it's my old one because I like that picture better. Um yeah, popped out before I thought about it. I also don't have my current insurance because I had to give it to Sewell and then left it in my purse. I am explaining all of this to him and when I look away I notice that he is actually laughing at me behind my old insurance card.

So basically some nice man in the parking lot is trying to help me avoid this whole debacle and I think he is going to kill us and Adele thinks the had the hots for us.....so wrong.

So basically I went to Oktoberfest where there were people dressed in full German regalia dancing around with giant beers and yet, I still felt like the fool...twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment