Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Graceful...not a bit.

Sometimes I amaze myself....and not in the good way. It's been a loooooong day in the Hodges household since we really haven't slept much since two nights ago. Lil Knox was up all night with a 104 fever and after a long trip to the doctor this morning that might have included me completely losing it on some awful woman in billing, thus causing my son to start screaming (that's a whole different story that doesn't need a blog post) we finally left with a diagnosis of Strep. Oh, Joy! I also don't feel so hot so I am praying it's not a dual diagnosis. But that's not why I amaze myself...

Just a few moments ago I go in because he starts crying. I give him some Tylenol because he is burning up, change his diaper and sit down to rock him. It's after I look down at him that I realize my chin has stuck to my chest with something that is sticky and smells an awful lot like grape Tylenol. How in the heck did I get sticky Tylenol on MY neck??

I rock him....FOREVER...and he finally starts breathing in rhythm, not to mention doing the little baby whistle when exhaling that lets me know his sheep are counted and he is out. Not gonna lie, I am doing a bit of a ridiculous victory dance in my head. That's when it all goes downhill.....

I start to get out of the rocker to put him in his crib. While rocking, he slid down and was kind of crumpled in my lap. I just grab what I assume to be his bum (it's dark.) When I start to stand, I realize I don't have a good hold on him. A series of very bad, not remotely graceful movements soon follow. I try to pick up my leg in order to prop him on my thigh which causes me to lose my balance completely. He starts to fall so I grab him best I can and throw my body in between him and the crib that I am crashing into (that's gonna leave a mark) bounce off my left shoulder as hard as I can (yes, I did guffaw in pain) in order to throw myself backward which sends me back towards the chair. The chair cuts me off at the knees thus throwing me into the seat. It then rocks back and slams into the wall. I sit there frozen, with my heart pounding. Graceful? No, absolutely not BUT slightly athletic! I am shocked that he doesn't pop right up and think OMG I got away with it when he slowly turns his little head towards me, opens one eye and sighs. Yep, my one year old SIGHED at me!

He is currently still awake....oops. That's what I get for doing the mental victory dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment