Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

London...Day 4

Let's see...as I am trying to get these updates in, Knox and I have both had the pleasure of some super fun stomach bug that causes vomiting and extreme exhaustion...yippee.


Day four in London was probably one of my favorite days. It was our day in the English countryside. We started out at Windsor castle. It's the Queen's residence. She spends about 2-3 days a week in Buckingham and then the rest of her time at Windsor. It is absolutely beautiful so I understand why Liz likes it. Plus, the town of Windsor is adorable.


We toured the grounds as well as the state rooms. My favorite part was Queen Mary's dollhouse. It's amazing. Seriously. It's an exact replica of windsor. It even has working electricity and plumbing. Since people knew the Queen had the dollhouse, instead of bringing random gifts when they came to see her, they brought all things mini (paintings, furniture, etc.) for her dollhouse. Little history lesson for ya!


Our next stop was Cliveden. It is a mansion/ estate that is now a five star hotel set on the River Thames. The site has been home to an Earl, two Dukes, a Prince of Wales and the Viscounts Astor. It's is most popularly known as the home of Nancy Astor. It was incredible. I felt as though I walked into Pemberley and Mr.Darcy was going to be stopping by for tea any minute. 


The grounds were amazing and I absolutely loved it. I made Hallie sprint down the center of the garden with me because I was so sick of eating and not exercising. A bunch of people looked at us like stupid Americans but we didn't care! 


We soon had to head back into London because Betsy's cute friend Annie from Nashville was coming in from Scotland where she's living for a few months and going to spend the night with us. Bets then went back to Scotland with Annie for a few days. We also got to meet another one of Betsy's friends Autumn who is working for Tom's shoes in London. They were super cute and it's always fun to add more people to the mix. 


Dinner that night was at La Caprice with Annie and Autumn. We had plans to see Wicked that night, so I wish our dinner would have been after because we just finished lunch pretty much when our 5:30 reservation came around so we could make it to the theatre on time. Even though I was not hungry in the slightest, I ate because why not? The food was amazing. 


We said goodbye to Autumn then headed off to the West End to see Wicked. I know, it's been out forever, but a few of us still hadn't seen it. It was FABULOUS. I know I use that word a lot, but this time I mean it. The actress who played Elphaba was amazingly talented. I found myself just wanting her to keep singing. 


All in all it was a GREAT day!


Hallie and I at Winsor

Bets and I

'
love this window...feel like a princess should be hanging out..


there's a princess!



SJ is totally into the tour

The Queen's garden



not to shabby



Non and Hallie

Windsor

picture of a picture

always enthused

ummmm


CLIVEDEN







the gardens...uh-mazing.


view from the garden

action shot!



















Wicked!



Headed to Dinner














No comments:

Post a Comment